When buying an Off-Grid system it is essential that you know how much autonomy it can provide you.
The system autonomy is the number of days the battery bank will last if the sun doesn’t shine. The size of the battery bank must be able to power your home during consecutive days of rain or high cloud cover. If you have not explicitly requested otherwise, your AGM and Lead Carbon system would be designed with three days autonomy.
The latest proven technology with Lithium-iron is designed for 1.5–2 days autonomy. These batteries are extremely fast charging, giving the possibility of multiple daily charges even at low light conditions which will extend the autonomy. It’s a fact that in prolonged times of bad weather or storms, people normally use power more conservatively and by having a generator connected to the system, you’ll always have power available that can top up the battery bank if required
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
• Combines supercapacitor and lead-acid battery technology
• Faster charging than lead-acid batteries
• Fully sealed, no maintenance required
• 98% Recyclable
• Lifespan is 7000 cycles at 30% DoD = 20 years life expectancy
• Allows for greater depth of discharge (up to 80%)
• Superior resistance against partial states of charge – a chemical reaction called “sulfation” which occurs during charging cycles and is the principal reason for failure in ordinary lead-acid batteries